Don’t call Tyler “he” or “she”
Just one look at writer/activist Tyler Ford’s twitter profile and you would clearly see that Tyler’s preferred pronouns are they/them. And yet, as Tyler says, there has never been a photo shoot, an interview, or any work event were they have been properly gendered.
Tyler took to twitter, writing, “I should not be misgendered on set, during an interview, during a shoot, while doing work, ever. it’s violent & unprofessional as all hell.”
Tyler is already a noted activist in their own right and was brought into the public eye after attending the amfAR gala with Miley Cyrus last year.
After tweeting out their frustrating, Tyler decided it was time to lay out instructions on how one should treat a non-binary individual on set:
- Check in with the trans folks you’re featuring BEFORE the shoot & ask them how they would like this situation handled. we’re all different.
- Make an announcement BEFORE i get to set. send an email BEFORE the shoot with my pronouns
- Educate the folks who are going to be working with me. send them my website & have them read my writing on transness
- Put everyone’s pronouns on the call sheet so it normalizes the “what are your pronouns” question & people have it on hand for reference.
- Show that you actually care about trans folks rather than about getting “ally points” for “including” us.
Sounds pretty reasonable to us!