Let’s be real, it’s a bit difficult to be patriotic right now.
Criminals in office, immigrant children being separated from their parents, Roe v. Wade in danger, Nazis running for office — what’s there to be proud of?
Luckily, we have the hilarious Brooklyn 99 to help us get through it all. They find the perfect way to talk about racism, sexism, and all that other crap and somehow make us laugh. So here are all the times that Brooklyn 99 got real about the shit show that is America right now.
11. That Time Gina Said She Would Make the Perfect Politician
10. That Time Jake and the Warden Joked About How Terrible Prison is for Trans People
9. That Time It Was Way Too Easy for Jake to Buy Guns
8. That Time Terry Was Stopped By a Cop for Being Black
7. That Time Gina Called Out Amy for Doing an Impression of a Black Person
6. That Time Terry Tried to Guilt Captain Holt for Not Having Children
5. Every Time the Vulture Sexually Harassed Amy at Work
4. That Time Gina Told Jake & Amy to Be Honest About Institutionalized Racism
3. Any Time Captain Holt Pretended to Be a Misogynist Straight Guy
2. That Time Terry and Holt Told Rosa They Wouldn’t Let Prison Dehumanize Her
1. That Time Captain Holt Recounted His First Day As A Cop
Happy Fourth of July, Everyone!
READ THIS NEXT
Lena Finkel is the Editor and Founder of Femestella. Prior to starting Femestella, she worked at People, InStyle, and Tiger Beat. Her favorite Housewife is Bethenny Frankel and when she’s not watching RHONY, you can probably find her obsessing over her tuxedo cat Tom or hoarding drugstore lipsticks.